Multifunction devices such as printers and scanners are often overlooked when it comes to cyber and data security. Traditionally printers have been viewed and treated as external components that perform a single function. Business often overlook this security loop – leaving a gap hole in an otherwise tightly operated secured information network but, with GDPR the need for printer security has been greater.
How Is Your Printer At Risk?
Research has shown that of all the printers and multifunctional devices, only 2% are secure and as a result they have been highlighted as a weak spot when it comes to protecting data. These devices are used daily to print and scan all types of personal data and therefore pose a data threat:
- The devices themselves provide hackers easy access to embedded system data and networks. Hacked devices could be infected with viruses in the same way as any other computer device
- Often, printed documents containing data are left and not retrieved for long periods of time making them easy to intercept
- Most environments have few, or no, restrictions on who can print what, when and where
- Most print environments are not able to provide accountability or an audit trail of what has been printed and by whom
- Devices can store a history of all documents that have been printed or scanned during the lifetime of the machine
With this in mind, it is no shock that your printers and scanners are capable of becoming the weak link in your company’s cyber-security defence.
What Can You Do?
In today’s competitive business environment, it is more important than ever that your organisation manages document output on your office equipment devices. When left unmanaged, operational costs can significantly increase due to the proliferation of networked devices and spiralling output costs.
In cooperation with leading software provider Equitrac, KBS offers Equitrac Office™. Designed to monitor, measure and manage network wide document output, this easy to use modular solution tracks copy and print activities in a detailed manner.
You can easily and accurately allocate costs to specific individuals, departments or groups. Equitrac Office™: simply the ideal tool to better understand office equipment usage and manage document output costs.
Features and Benefits
- Direct output to the most efficient device
- Accurately allocate output costs
- Eliminate unauthorised printing and copying
- Protect document confidentiality
- Enforce quotas on colour output
- Obtain insight into usage patterns
- Increase device efficiency for the best return on investment
- Reduce IT support requirements
Combining these strategies into a Managed Print Solution will reduce burden on IT departments, reduce print costs and maximise effeciencies across your business.
GDPR is never going away and if you’re late to the game we can still help you. Speak to your Account Manager today about how we can help you become GDPR compliant. Contact us here